Is That What Your Parents Taught You?

While on my way to the restroom at work, I stumble across a little girl of about 8, (it's summer) whom I spoke to. When our eyes met, she looked at me and continued to walk out of the door as if I'd not spoken. That was nothing more than a basic human kindness that wouldn't have impeded her progress out of the door. My feelings were not hurt, it wasn't her fault.

Backing up... I was raised in the south under good southern graces and I was always instructed to speak when spoken to and to always as much as possible to be pleasant and polite. I was taught etiquette and charm. Presenting myself well as important. I tried to teach what I'd learned to my daughter under the pretenses of my own understanding. Well, that's all over.

I remember my mom saying that to me to act right because the people wouldn't blame me that they would blame HER for my actions! I thought in my kid-sized thinking, "But why? You didn't do it!" Now I can clearly see because my first thought upon speaking to the little girl was "Is that what your parents taught you?"

Clearly, children won't do everything that we as parents expect them to do but they do most of it. It's about what we show them. There will be some things they pick up from elsewhere that we have to edit out. But if we are disrespectful of others, they will be disrespectful of others. If we act entitled, they will up the game and act MORE entitled. Though it seems unlikely, the words of parents are like golden nuggets to children.

For me, customer service, respect and being polite all go hand in hand. Especially if you don't know a person. That unknown person could be your ticket to the next big thing. But it was blown because you didn't know any better or that you do any better. 

I'm keeping my home training and will help my little and big family members as well as friends with their manners!




Comments

Popular Posts