Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual Songs

It is amazing how God sings to me in times of stress. Be it good or bad...

Tonight I've been singing "Have Faith in Me" by Kim Burrell. It talks about what God can do and somehow my heart has ended up singing Toni Braxton's "Un-break My Heart."

The most remarkable time when this happened is when my son was killed by his father. The song for days was the Winans song "Uphold Me" (...with thy free spirit. Whatever you do Lord don't take your joy from me!) I woke up with it, I went to bed with it while hearing the lyrics that said "uphold me, mold me, shape me, make me, anoint me, appoint me, rebuke me, reprove me, chastise me, REVIVE ME!! Whatever you do Lord don't take your joy from me!!! " It at times as if the music was turned up full blast in my head.

Another instance of extreme worship where I was alone in a crowd listening only to the voice of the Lord, was my first sermon as a licensed Evangelist. The service was extreme aka very long!! I was the keynote but there were 8 speakers before me. They put me up to speak at 10:30 pm. While I sat and listened to the other speakers and Jesus let the internal music play, I asked "Lord what shall I do?" His response was to sing... So I got up and asked the musician to take me to B-flat. He knows what to do so it went well.

Music has been the instrument of life affirming lessons. With music I've laughed and cried.  It was there to celebrate my highs and comfort my lows. Music makes me think of the poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning "How do I Love Thee?"

The Book of Psalms talks about the instruments of praise, they how and why we praise. The scripture this evening  is Ephesians 5:18 which says in KJV:
     Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

It tends to happen...the making melody when I sing... I know you guys saw the Toni Braxton song at the top. Yes I do occasionally hear a secular song or artist that I like. There is a line to what you should listen to and when but that's another blog post.

Instant Oracle Ministries -Valerie Spivey Danzy

Comments

Popular Posts